Stray & Feral Cat Info
Stray cats show up for lots of reasons. They may be friendly or afraid of people (feral). Also known as community cats, their numbers get out of control when folks feed them but don’t get them fixed. Lots of kittens are born and suddenly there are too many cats.
Some cities trap and euthanize community cats. That doesn’t work, though. Other cats will simply move in to take advantage of the food source. This is called the vacuum effect and is well proven.
TNR (Trap Neuter Return) does work. Cats are fixed, vaccinated, eartipped (the universal symbol of a fixed and vaccinated cat), and returned to their outdoor home. The population doesn’t grow because there are no more kittens. Behaviors like yowling, fighting, and spraying stop or are greatly reduced. TNR is humane and it works.
SAAFhouse Spay-Neuter Clinic can help. Here are the details:
· Feral cats must be brought to the clinic in a catch and release trap. This is to protect the safety of the cat, the caretaker and the veterinary staff. By using a catch-and-release trap the cat does not have to be handled, no injury can be inflicted on the caretakers, and the cat avoids the stress of being forced into a carrier. The cat is given an injection through the bars of the trap prior to surgery. It is not possible to do this with a standard cat carrier.
· Traps are available to rent for a $30 cash deposit. (Deposits are refunded after the cat is fixed, released and the trap is returned to the clinic.) You return the trap—we return your $30.
· You must make arrangements to pick up a trap and set your appointment date by calling the clinic. Prepayment is not required for feral cats, but payment is due the morning the cat is dropped off.
· The fee for feral cats is $25 and includes spaying or neutering, a one- year rabies shot, pain medication and ear tipping for identification. This fee is not refundable, even if the cat is found to be already spayed/neutered or positive for FIV/Felv.
· Feral cats can be tested at the caretakers request for FIV/FeLV for an additional fee of $20.
Here are some helpful links to learn more about…